I’m looking for a new digital camera and have become overwhelmed by my options. My needs are pretty simple: I have to have a really good zoom lens for sports pictures, it needs to be a small camera that will fit into pocket or purse for convenience and of course it needs to take quality pictures. I love the quality of SLR cameras but the size prevents me from using them as much so I’d prefer a digital point and shoot with the nearest quality to SLR.
I think I’ve got my choices narrowed down between three cameras:
1. Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 (my previous digital was an older version of this camera and could take some great quality photos) but this one is a 14 megapixel, 16x optical zoom and I can buy it in a kit from http://www.adorama.com that comes with a case, memory card & table top tripod.
2. Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 (before that Panasonic I had a almost credity card size Casio, the zoom was horrid but the camera did take some quality pictures) but this one is a 12.1 megapixel, 12.5 optical zoom and reviews said shutter speed and speed between photos was fast which would be convenient for the sports pictures, and I can buy it in a kit from http://www.adorama.com that comes with a case, memory card & table top tripod.
3. Pentax Optio RZ18 – this is new to the market and I couldn’t find any reviews of anyone who has actually used it so that part scares me, but it has 16 megapixels, 18x optical zoom, face detection with upgraded pet mode, software and I can buy it in a kit from http://www.adorama.com that comes with a case, memory card & table top tripod.
Also under consideration but doesn’t quite compare to the Pentax and doesn’t come with the kit that I like are:
4. Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V – I don’t know anyone who has had a Sony camera before but this one has 16.2 megapixel & a 16x optical zoom; a salesman at Target said the time between taking pictures was fastest on this one, but it didn’t seem that fast inside the store.
5. Samsung WB700 – I don’t know anyone who has had a Samsung so I’m not sure about the quality of this camera either but it has 16 megapixels & 18x optical zoom.
I’ve read so many specs and reviews today I have become nearly cross-eyed and am in information overload. I need to decide if I am going with a known brand or try the new Pentax and I’m so confused! I guess I will have to sleep on it and hope the answer comes in my dreams!